These Guidelines set out a national framework for nutrition in Barbados and aim to encourage healthy eating habits and to promote active lifestyles for the prevention and management of chronic nutrition-related diseases.
The Guidelines provide 8 key recommendations for healthy eating and physical activity, namely:
- Enjoy a wide variety of foods every day;
- Enjoy a variety of vegetables every day;
- Enjoy a variety of fruits every day;
- Enjoy a variety of foods rich in fiber every day;
- Choose to eat less fat and fatty foods every day;
- Choose foods with less salt and sodium every day;
- Choose foods and beverages with less added sugar every day;
- Engage in physical activity every day. In addition, the Guidelines seeks to encourage consumers to read nutrition labels and provides a special note about trans fat.